between Leatherhead and
Guildford exploiting the proximity
of Horsley Railway Station. As a result the village has
expanded into a general residential area mostly in a linear pattern
along the Ockham Road. East Horsley consists of a
large area of inter and post war housing, thicker near the railway
line to the north and spreading thinner across the A25 to the south.This well sought after residential area is full of detached
homes on good sized plots, some just visible from the few country lanes that
run past. Chalk Lane running south to Green Dene is very pretty
indeed, but still contrived without a
feel yet for real countryside. North the
village extends towards Ockham on the road that passes the Drift
Golf Course and to the south the village continues over the Downs.
There is adequate provision in the shops of the village for
everyday local needs and Station Parade is a busy spot.
There is another parade further south and they both primarily
provide convenience shopping and focal points for East and West
Hotel stands back graciously from the double bend in
the road and the wider area has car dealerships and garden centres.
History St Martin's church
has a originally Norman tower with inserted 13th century and 18th
century roughcast top.
The rest is of 1869 and renewed by Woodyer.
Inside is a memorial to Bishop of Exeter who died in the village on
5th April 1478. Why one might think? One of the manors
belonged to Exeter and the bishops would visit from time to time,
the land being already owned by Exeter back in the year of the
Domesday Book (1086) when Bishop Osbern and the King shared large
parts of the Woking district and the King granted concessions to the
Church. Thus the bishops had a customary right to use the
King's woodland valued as pasture for 120 pigs and not pay anything.
Also at East Horsley were lands held by the archbishops of
Canterbury and again had been so since before the days of the
for a home:
suburbanised village carrying a fair amount of through traffic