Village High Street
Day Aspect and Character
important coaching village on the London to Portsmouth
Road which still bears witness to such
character on its curved and attractive High Street.
There are numerous buildings along the High Street worthy of note
and surprisingly the green is behind the properties to the
west of the High Street so that the main village has seemed to turn its back on it.
Through traffic could easily be completely unaware of the green's existence.
The High Street is full of character, made up of varied and
attractive buildings, the best being old coaching inns including the
half-timbered rambling Anchor Hotel. St Mary’s
Church has a late
Norman puddingstone chancel with some impressive details. The Talbot
Hotel is 17th century with a big
mid-18th century front with the coach arch still in
place. The Manor
opposite the Anchor, is a Dutch-gabled building dated 1650.
Ripley Court School in Rose Lane is also 17th
early 18th century.
River Wey to the west of Ripley running through the water
distance beyond the green to the west are water meadows leading to a
group of buildings around the restored Mill House. This
attractive spot is even more memorable because of the extraordinary
site of the ruins of Newark Priory which stand isolated
against the green backdrop of meadows and trees.
The Anchor of Ripley High Street originally a C16 alms
house. Tel: 01483
The Jovial Sailor, Portsmouth Road, a pub dating back many years and
much smaller originally than it is now. The name is derived
from the many sailors who travelled this way from London to
Portsmouth. A particularly children friendly pub. Tel: 01483 224630
The Talbot Hotel, High Street has had many famous visitors over the
years including Nelson and Lady Hamilton. 8 letting
Tel: 01483 225188
Ripley C of E
Tel: 01483 225307
Independent School: Ripley Court Prep
School Tel: 01483 225217
Ripley was once a mecca for cyclists long before the motorist took
over. It was far enough down the old Portsmouth Road for
Londoners to be able to ride out, have tea and then return
home. The 'Dibble' sisters dispensed tea for the cyclists and became so popular in their lifetime that when they died cyclists
clubbed together and paid for a stained glass window in their memory
to be placed in the parish church. Annie and Harriet Dibble were kindly
churchgoing souls who ran the Anchor Inn. It was
twenty five miles from the
centre of London and the sisters knew exactly how to cater for
ravenous cyclists. Annie died in July 1956 and Harriet fifteen
months later..... with them so did an era.
fascinating sight of the
ruins of Newark Priory
unreasonably congested soon after with the
advent of the car's popularity. The narrowness of this part of
the main Portsmouth Road soon started a clamour
for a bypass which reached a crescendo resulting in the A3 being
realigned to the south. Modern day Ripley then has turned a
full circle and is much less busy
than it was thirty years ago.
Long before the Dibble sisters catered for the huge numbers of visitors to Ripley, the national
spotlight was on the village because of its cricketing
exploits. Ripley's green is one of the oldest cricket grounds in
the country and for around two hundred and fifty years the game has been played on
it. Surrey County Cricket Club had its origins on pitches like
this one, and the great players of the late 18th
century and 19th century appeared
here in matches such as 22 Surrey men v England in 1802.